The perfect handbag accessory for a little girl that will complete her outfit during those special occasions! Somewhere we lost the classic fashion accessory for little girls 2-4yrs old. I remember my little white gloves and my little handbag and shoes that matched my dress, but times have changed!
Here’s a quick 40 min tutorial on how to glam up a little girls drawstring handbag age appropriately.
- Fabric (Fat Quarter) size 20″length x 8.5″width (50.8 cm x 21.59 cm)
- Coordinating Ribbon 3/4″ width (1.905 cm)
- Matching thread
Cut you fabric to the dimensions above.
2. Cut two strips of ribbon 8″length and stitch the top and bottom of the ribbon 4″ (10.16 cm)from the bottom of the bag. 3. Sew a zigzag stitch around the edge of the fabric to prevent fraying, or use a serger.
4. Fold the top of the panel 1/4″ (0.635 cm) and sew a stitch along the edge . Double stitch the side seams 2″ (5.08 cm) from the top of the panel on each side. This will leave an opening on each side to insert the ribbon.
5. Finish the seams around the opening following the stitches.
6. Fold the front and back panel one inch toward the inside of the bag and sew a 1/4″ (0.635 cm)seam along the bottom edge of the fold to create a channel for the ribbon.
7. Sew a 5/8″ (1.5875 cm) seam around the top of the bag to finish the channel. Use a safety-pin at the end of the ribbon to feed the ribbon through the channel.
8. Double-stitch the ends of the ribbon together and fold over 1/2″ (1.27 cm) and double stitch each edge of the fold to ensure the ribbon doesn’t pull apart.
9. Use a seam ripper to remove the side stitches in between the channel opening and pull the ribbon though. Adjust the ribbon so that the sewn edge is in the middle of the channel so that it’s not exposed.
10. Fold the ribbon to create a flower, gathering the folds in the center, and hand stitch the center onto the front center of the bag. You can decide the size of your flower. Cut a circle medallion from the remaining fabric and sew a zigzag stitch around the edge. This will cover your stitches.
11. Hand stitch the center medallion creating a large dot in the center .
That’s it! Your little girl has the perfect accessory to match her dress and look like a princess..
Pin this for later!