Let’s create the purse lining, inside pocket, and install the purse feet for the Urban Summer Purse Tutorial~Part #2. Just for consistancy…I left you with Step 4 in the last tutorial so I will begin Part#2 with step 5.
- Lining (solid color fabric)
- Pocket (printed fabric)
- Purse Feet
- Pellon Stabilizer
- Magnetic Closure
- Cut out lining (2) solid color pieces 10 inches width x 16 1/2 inches length the same size as your full front and back panels
- Cut out pocket 6 inches width x 11 1/2 inches length
- Cut out Pellon stabilizer 3 1/2 inches width x 15 inches length
- Cut solid any color fabric on the fold 4 1/2 inches width x 13 1/2 inches length (used as bottom of purse stabilizer)
- Iron seam allowance around pocket to hide raw edges
- Place pocket in the center of the back panel and sew onto the right side of the fabric. Sew a seam down the center of the pocket, to create 2 pockets.
- Sew sides and bottom together 5/8 inch seam allowance leaving the top open
- Cut a square 2 inches x 2 inches on the bottom corners
- Press seams open
- Match the open ends top and bottom, and sew a straight stitch across (creating a box edge)
- Insert the Pellon stabilizer in between the fabric, fold and iron the edges before sewing your finishing seam to close.
- Fold the outer bag raw edges 1 inch inward and iron to create your finished edge
- Following the manufactures instructions, install purse feet 1/2 inch from each corner
- Place stabilizer form in the bottom of the purse
- Fold the top edges of the lining 1 inch and iron
- Insert the lining into the purse lining matching the seams and hiding the raw edges
- Make adjustments to the lining and pin in place.
- Leave 1/2 inch from the top of the purse to lining edge
In the next tutorial I will cover the magnetic closure, purse handles/straps, decorative belt and other finishing touches. Stay tuned for Part #3 of this tutorial. Subscribe to La Cartera to receive automatic updates on the next postings.
Check out the tutorials tab for more fun projects.